Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Planning for next year...

I spent a good part of today putting together my plan for next year.
It is always very exciting to feel another year coming to a close, but I have learned from past experience not to let the year end without looking at where we are, and thinking about where we want to go in the coming year.
If I let it go until summer and get all the paperwork filed and the books put away, it is too hard to visualize the continuum of our journey.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I don't need to buy very much for next year.
Most of the History, Science, Math and Reading books are being handed down.
There may be a new edition or two that I will need to update with. I do have to buy a few workbooks, of course.
I have been using "Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum" rather loosely as I have gone along. I really like Laura Berquist's style. She gives a very detailed plan for each year.

There are plenty of areas where I feel that we are more successful if we step outside that plan though. Just in the different learning styles and speeds. Paul will not finish "Sound Beginnings" for example. He just doesn't need it. He is an instinctive reader, he will have a Spelling book and will start Grammar.

This is John's plan for next year:

Religion- Faith and Life Gr. 6, Wilmington Guidelines, various stories of Saints.

Math- Saxon 76

Reading- Faith and Freedom Readers, 6th and 7th.

Grammar- Easy Grammar 5 & 6

Writing- WordSmith Apprentice/Wordsmith-Love this!

Spelling- Seton Spelling 6

Poetry/Latin- Alternate Latina Christiana/Harp and Laurel Wreath

History- All ye Lands, buy @ Amazon.com

Science- Apologia Science, Botony; Usborne Science handbooks

Art- ArtinHistory.com-for use with our history program.

Literature- Free reading of titles from list in "Designing..."


Brendan 3rd/4th:

Religion- Faith and Life, 3rd grade, Wilmington Guidelines

Math- Saxon 54, need Tests and worksheets book

Reading- Faith and Freedom Readers 4th and 5th

Grammar- Easy Grammar 3/4 Workbook

Spelling- Seton Spelling 4

Writing- Type Dictation

History- Pioneers and Patriots, Evangelization..., OLDG 4th gr. teachers guide

Science- Apologia, Botony

Geography- Trailguide

Latin- Flashcards

Typing Pal/Handwriting

Art - Seton Art 4

Music- Piano Lessons

Literature- Books from List

Paul 2nd Grade:

Religion- Faith and Life 2, Wilmington Guidelines

Math- Grade 2 Abeka, Math

Reading- Faith and Freedom, 3rd and 4th

Spelling- Seton Spelling 2

Grammar- Language Lessons for the Elementary Child

History- Our America/ States and Capitals/various titles

Science- Apologia, Botony

Art- Seton Art 2

Music- Piano

Poetry- Memorize poems from Harp and Laurel Wreath.

I am going to be haunting Amazon for the next few months. I need to go get one more Abeka math book, well I will need a third grade the following year.
The most expensive item on my list is the History book that I need to get for John, but I am really excited about it. I have been looking forward to doing ancient history.
We will probably take two years to do it.

Well... Onward!

1 comment:

Laura O in AK said...

Jennifer,

You are ahead of me for having it all planned out. I bought All Ye Lands at Amazon since the discount was great. I haven't looked at it as I want to wrap up this year first. But, if it is like From Sea to Shining Sea, then I know I'll love it. We're also going to do Story of the World Vol. 2 as a family, so there'll be some overlap for my eldest son.

I went to CHAP this past weekend and almost spent a fortune on 'new' things. One item is on my list to get eventually (IEW's program), but the science I was considering is just TOO expensive for now. I guess we should be grateful to have so many choices.

I love the feel of home and I love the business of making my home and homeschool work as smoothly and "Grace"fully as possible. I want to help preserve the art of Domesticity, with the added Blessing of Home Education.
This is the purpose of this blog. To pass along some of the things I have learned, and am learning, about organizing, about cooking, about homeschooling, about time management and other tidbits.