Monday, February 2, 2009

Weekly Menu Planning

I am starting to do a weekly menu planning session on Saturday mornings again.
I used to plan every week, and I don't know why I got away from it.
It helps so much to have each day planned and know what to thaw in the morning.
I know a lot of people plan and then shop, but lately, with the budget being what it is. I find that it is more sensible to shop the sales for meat, plan that part of the meal for each day from what I have, and then buy the things that I will need for the sides.
I don't need to plan for breakfast and lunch, because these meals are pretty much the same everyday.
I can do a big BJs shopping trip once a month, get the bulk items, and then do the milk/bread shopping as needed.
It does save a lot of money too.
I am cruising the internet and I have found that some of the websites that I like for organizing have some great menu planning ideas.
What's For Dinner?
The Organizing Junkie
Heavenly Homemakers
I am adding the menus to my google "menus" calendar.
This makes them accessible when I am out.
I have also started doing my shopping list on my Blackberry, because I always have it with me and I can delete items as I find them.
I am trying to cut back on waste and unnecessary purchases. If I can save enough money, I can get new countertops in the kitchen, and that will make fixing all those meals SO much more fun!

No comments:

I love the feel of home and I love the business of making my home and homeschool work as smoothly and "Grace"fully as possible. I want to help preserve the art of Domesticity, with the added Blessing of Home Education.
This is the purpose of this blog. To pass along some of the things I have learned, and am learning, about organizing, about cooking, about homeschooling, about time management and other tidbits.