Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Quest for Personal Order...


I have a problem.
I have always been really nuts about purses, bags and all sorts of personal organization methods.
I don't see these things as accessories. I am really not concerned about how they look or whether they go with my shoes. No, they are the tools I use to keep it together.
I am ever in search of the perfect system of personal organization.

I have a certain number of things that I have to have with me whenever I go out.
My wallet of course. And a small bag with toiletry items and things like motrin and Dramamine.
I used to have to take my planner with me everywhere, but with my Blackberry, I have access to my calendar and all the documents that I have in Google, in addition to my phone book and gmail account. The Blackberry is considerably smaller than the planner.
I have rosaries, and prayer books for Mass. I have my little camera and my glasses.
Oh, and the keys.
All of this stuff gets kind of heavy after awhile.
I bought a wallet that has a little strap that I can put on, it holds the blackberry and I can just clip the keys to it when I go in to a store.
I am thinking that maybe I will just go to a big tote, a pretty one, with some little bags inside that can hold all the flotsam and jetsam so that I can find the right one when I need it. Bright colors for identification.
It would be so much easier to just look down into the bag and pull out the correct color.
Then I can just leave the bag in the car most of the time and bring my wallet in the house with my BB.
I don't know. I am sure there is a flaw in this plan, because if it were the answer, someone would be selling it.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I found a big tote on clearance at Target. The center section has a pull out cushioned zipper case that can hold a laptop. There is a section sewn into the side that can hold and organize small items like a cell phone or PDA and pens. Another convenient feature is a hook for car keys. They no longer get lost in the black hole. I usually carry a large day planner, my wallet, keys, coupon organizer, Ganny brag book, and prayer book. There is room for my Bible or Religious Ed materials for the nights I am at the parish hall. The best part is that all of the compartments keep things where I can find them easily. My bag is red faux-alligator texture, fairly attractive, and very functional. See a similar bag here: http://www.target.com/Merona-Classic-Ho-pkins-Red/dp/B001KPWVRY/qid=1239322083/ref=br_1_10/180-7747608-5387649?ie=UTF8&node=12950751&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=12950751&rank=-product_site_launch_date&rh=&page=3

I love the feel of home and I love the business of making my home and homeschool work as smoothly and "Grace"fully as possible. I want to help preserve the art of Domesticity, with the added Blessing of Home Education.
This is the purpose of this blog. To pass along some of the things I have learned, and am learning, about organizing, about cooking, about homeschooling, about time management and other tidbits.