Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pantry Principles and Practicalities — part 3 of 4

April 7th, 2009 by Mary Kochan Print This Post Print This Post ·ShareThis

In my last article I mentioned that having a well-organized pantry was greatly reducing the frequency of shopping trips for the three adult shoppers in my family. I’d like to talk more about the strategy for accomplishing that because it involves a part of the pantry I did not mention before and that is our freezer.

In the basement we have an upright freezer and it is incorporated into our pantry system. For one thing, that freezer is the pantry for the freezer over my kitchen fridge and for certain items it is a pantry for the fridge itself. This means that it is inventoried and stocked to certain minimum/maximum levels just like the rest of the pantry. The inventory is listed on a white board next to the freezer.

Because of the ease of organization in the one versus the other, I highly recommend an upright freezer over a chest freezer. I have many years of experience with both and the slightly higher operating cost of an upright is more than compensated for by its ease of use and less likelihood of things getting “lost” and thereby wasted.

Read the rest HERE


No comments:

I love the feel of home and I love the business of making my home and homeschool work as smoothly and "Grace"fully as possible. I want to help preserve the art of Domesticity, with the added Blessing of Home Education.
This is the purpose of this blog. To pass along some of the things I have learned, and am learning, about organizing, about cooking, about homeschooling, about time management and other tidbits.